My take on this discussion is that I believe that leaders are made, and I am not the only one with this perspective.
“…leaders are made, not born, and made more by themselves than by any external means. Second . . . that no leader sets out to be a leader per se, but rather to express himself freely and fully.” – Warren Bennis, On Becoming a Leader
The truth is the most people have the potential to become effective leaders. The real issue is that leadership takes time to develop…
• People need time to figure out what they’re passionate about
• People need time to understand their personal vision and purpose
• People need time to learn how to express who they
• People need time to learn how to use their unique strengths and skills
• People need time to learn how to express their purpose in their own unique way.
As the saying goes…. the fighter does not win in the ring… he is only recognised there! You see leadership is not something you’re born with, it cannot be taught, it cannot be copied… it’s learnt!
“Leadership cannot really be taught. It can only be learned.” – Harold Geneen
Leaders learn through life experience, by making room in our lives for lots of trial and error…
“Leaders aren’t born, they are made. And they are made just like anything else, through hard work. And that’s the price we’ll have to pay to achieve that goal, or any goal.” – Vince Lombardi
Leaders are made when they understanding their purpose, their strengths and have a deep passion to make a difference by living out who they are in the real world.
“Leadership is an observable, learnable set of practices. Leadership is not something mystical and ethereal that cannot be understood by ordinary people. Given the opportunity for feedback and practice, those with the desire and persistence to lead can substantially improve their abilities to do so.” – James Kouzes and Barry Posner, The Leadership Challenge
Perhaps this real issue is that…
• … only a few of us pay the price necessary to become a leader?
• … only a few people take the time to understand their unique vision and purpose?
• … only a few people take the time to understand who they are?
• … only a few people take the time to learn how to express themselves?