1. Ask the right questions. Give thought to the questions you will ask before your time with your mentor. Make the questions strategic for your growth.
2. Don't let ego get in the way of learning.
3. Respect the mentor but don't idolize him/her. Making the mentor an idol removes your critical faculty for adapting a mentor's knowledge and experience to yourself.
4. Put into effect immediately what you are learning.
5. Be disciplined in relating to the mentor. Arrange for ample time, select the subject matter in advance, and do your homework to make sessions profitable.
6. Don't threaten to give up. Let your mentor know that you have made a decision for progress, so your mentor will know it's not a waste of time.